The coronavirus known as COVID-19 has spread to all continents including Europe, excepting Antarctica.
What is COVID-19?
The new coronavirus causing the outbreak first appeared in Wuhan, China in late 2019, according to the ECDC (European Center for Disease Prevention and Control). “Coronaviruses” are a large family of viruses with a wide range of symptoms, ranging from SARS and MERS to the common cold.
COVID-19 is an abbreviation of “CO” for “corona,” “VI” for “virus,” “D” for disease and “19” for 2019. Formerly, this disease was referred to as “2019 novel coronavirus” or “2019-nCoV,” the ECDC said.
Recommendation for preventive actions:
– Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
– Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
– Stay home if you feel sick.
– Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
– Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
– Follow ECDC’s recommendations for using a facemask.
– ECDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
– Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).
– Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
– If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
Should I get tested for coronavirus?
It is recommended people to call their doctor if they feel sick with fever, coughing, difficulty breathing or have been in contact with someone who has COVID-19.
A healthcare professional should be contacted if a person has recently been in an area known to have an ongoing spread of the disease.
Healthcare professionals are working with local and state departments, as well as the CDC, to test people suspected to have the illness.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
Patients infected with Covid-19 have reportedly had mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms of:
How can I help protect myself?
This virus is spreading in everywhere in Europe right now, the best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to this virus. There are simple everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.